Friday, April 01, 2011

undiscovered soundtrack

I love soundtracks. And if you look at the tracklist for this mix, you'll see that I have a few favorite composers.

At the top of that list are Clint Mansell & Cliff Martinez. They are responsible for two of my favorite soundtracks,
The Fountain & Solaris.

Jon Hopkins, a new composer on the soundtrack scene, could soon join those two as a favorite. His soundtrack for the movie
Monsters, got a lot of play here. I ended up using three tracks from that album in this mix, I just couldn't resist.

Actually I doubled up a few artists in this mix, Martinez, Hopkins, Sigur Ros, Nick & Warren Ellis, Underworld. Normally I don't like to do that but it just sort of happened that way. This is a relatively short mix but I think it works. Sometimes I don't make it to the end of some mixes, this way hopefully listeners are still in to it & focused at the end.


Enjoy this "undiscovered soundtrack".



[ s t r e a m ] | [ d o w n l o a d ] | [ i t u n e s ]


T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Clint Mansell - Winter Ghosts of a Future (Requiem for a Dream)
  • 01:45    Jon Hopkins - Candles (Monsters)
  • 03:35    Cliff Martinez - And We're Here to Listen (Traffic)
  • 05:15    Thomas Newman - Still Dead (American Beauty)
  • 07:55    Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road (The Road)
  • 11:30    Underworld & John Murphy - Searle Finds the Crew of Icarus (Sunshine)
  • 12:20    Explosions in the Sky - An Ugly Fact of Life (Friday Nigh Lights)
  • 14:10    Sigur Ros - síðasta ferð (hlemmur)
  • 16:33    Craig Armstrong - Main Theme (The Clearing)
  • 17:40    Ennio Morricone - Tema di Ali (The Battle of Algiers)
  • 21:32    John Zorn - Family Found(cello) (Family Found(Filmworks XII))
  • 23:50    Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Micro Sucker (White Lunar)
  • 24:25    Underworld - Capa's Last Transmission Home (Sunshine)
  • 26:10    Sigur Ros - fyrsta ferð (hlemmur)
  • 28:25    Hilmar Hilmarsson - I Flew (Angels of the Universe)
  • 30:25    Cliff Martinez - First Drive Home (First Snow)
  • 30:50    Jon Hopkins - Water (Monsters)
  • 31:55    James Newton Howard - I'm Sorry (I am Legend)
  • 33:50    Jon Hopkins - Campfire (Monsters)
  • 36:11 end


7 comments:

jamie said...

Amazing mix. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi dave,

I visit your site quite often and just wanted to thank you for all the mixs. This one is probably my favourite so far. Just one small thing, I don’t think you got all the track names right, the Thomas Newman and Hilmarsson ones might need checking.
Anyway thanks again your doing a great job,

All the best

kevin

Low Light Mixes said...

Glad you guys like this mix, it's one of my new favs as well.

I checked the Newman & Hilmarsson tracks & I think they are correct. The Hilmarsson is from a cd called "Dust to Dust" which has music from several soundtracks, 3 of which are from "Angels of the Universe". However the actual "Angels" ost doesn't list that track.

I know that the "American Beauty" ost has a few tracks that repeat that piano phrase so it could be any one of those. I think it was "Still Dead" but who knows?

Thanks again for your support.

Mister Aitch said...

Thank you for this Wonderful mix. Been a fan of the Monsters OST for a while and nice to hear it here. Keep up the good work

Jim said...

Hey Dave,

Loving the mixes too... Just wondering where on earth you found that Cliff Martinez track supposedly from Traffic... and we're here to listen

Low Light Mixes said...

Jim,

The Cliff Martinez track is from the Criterion Collection DVD which has the isolated score along with commentary.

The track was an alternate to Eno's "An Ending(ascent)" but was not used.

Anonymous said...

Tremendous mix - great selections!